PedalGR Ride, meeting at 6:15pm on Wednesday, 5/28/08 at Founder’s Brewing Company, 235 Grandville Ave SW.
Spread the word and tell your friends (better yet, bring them with you). Hopefully I’ll have http://www.pedalgr.com/ up soon.
Here is the route:
View Larger Map
Need to Know:
- This is a no-drop ride. Nobody in the group will be left behind.
- There are lots of hills. Bring your granny gear. Lots of fun downhills too!
- COBBLESTONE! There are two cobblestone roads left in GR. We’ll ride down one of them.
- There is a “shortcut” with about 5 short sections of steps to go down. We will help each other (this is a friendly ride) carry the bikes down them if someone has trouble.
- Ride is 16 miles and should take approximately 2 hours.
- Water and portable snack food are recommended.
- HELMETS ARE REQUIRED on Rapid Wheelmen Club rides.
A few highlights include:
- Central High School
- Fulton St. Farmer’s Market
- GR’s only public dog park @ Hillcrest Park
- Hillcrest Community Garden – largest in the GR area
- Kent County Jail and Sheriff’s Dept.
- Trowbridge St – cobblestone!
- downtown lookout @ Hastings and Fairview
- Project X – earth sculpture
- Grand River Fish Ladder
- RiverHouse Condos
Although we will not be stopping often to take photographs, cameras are highly encouraged to document our journey. Please contact me with any questions.
Remember, having fun and riding safely are the two most important goals! Hope to see you there!
EDIT – 5/21/08: I rode the route last night and it’s pretty hilly, so I cut 2 miles off the route (we’ll have to ride through Cheshire business district on another ride) so we can finish close to the two hour time frame. I’m also in the process of seeing if we can get a quick 5 minute tour of Newberry Place, the new co-housing community on Belknap Hill.