Hi, this blog is new and just beginning. If (when) people actually start showing up to my ride, I will try and make it more permanent, add new features, possibly get my own URL, etc.
So, show up to the ride, have fun, tell your friends, and join me in getting to know the city better. Information on the first ride, 5/14/08 is below. The ride will take place on alternating Wednesdays after that. The start time for the two May rides is 6:15. The start time will change to 6:30 in June and July and we’ll see how it goes after that.
Your humble Ride Captain,
I’ve finished the route for the very first PedalGR Ride meeting at 6:15pm on Wednesday, 5/14/08 at Founder’s Brewing Company, 235 Grandville Ave SW. I hope people actually show up.
Here is the route:
View Larger Map
Need to Know:
- There are three decent uphill sections
- There will be brick roads, so be prepared if you’re riding your skinny tire bike
- There is one ~.5 mile section of gravel road along Reed’s Lake
- Ride is 19 miles and should take approximately 2 hours
- Water and portable snack food are recommended
- Kalamazoo at Alger Rd is under construction, but passable by bicycle
A few highlights include:
- Newly restored D.A. Blodgett Home for Children
- Historic Wealthy Theater
- Iroquois School and Ottawa Hills neighborhood
- Reed’s Lake in East Grand Rapids
- Former home of the Catholic Archdiocese of Grand Rapids
Although we will not be stopping often to take photographs, cameras are highly encouraged to document our journey. Please contact me with any questions. Hope to see you there!