This week PedalGR will join the Ride of Silence, an international day of remembrance for bicyclists killed or injured in collisions with motor vehicles. The Ride of Silence exists for three reasons:
1) To HONOR those who have been injured or killed while cycling
2) To RAISE AWARENESS that we are here
3) To ask that we all SHARE THE ROAD
No map, we will simply ride up Monroe at 6:30 to Riverside Park to join the Ride of Silence for their 12 mile route to John Ball Park and back, then return to Founders for the normal post ride festivities. The Ride of Silence travels with a police escort at a maximum speed of 12 mph. Silence among the riders is encouraged to honor those injured or killed.
Need to Know:
- This is a no-drop ride. Generally nobody able to ride at 12mph is left behind, however, since there may be upwards of 200 bicyclists for the event, I will not be able to keep track of all the PedalGR riders. We will gather after the ride to go back to Founders.
- Ride is about 17 miles and will take about 2-2 1/2 hours (PedalGR is not a race).
- HELMETS ARE REQUIRED on Rapid Wheelmen Club rides. (The insurance company’s lawyers insist) Please email or comment if you need to borrow one and we will try to accommodate you.
Save The Date:
July 10 – 2010 Meijer Grand Cycling Classic – This fantastic criterium race returns to the brick streets of downtown Grand Rapids for its fourth year. The date was moved to July so it could be included on the National Road Calendar. The NRC is the premier points challenge for US pro-cycling teams and means this race will draw top US talent from all over the country and the world. Come down and support the local Bissell Pro Cycling Team, who is currently battling with Lance Armstrong’s Team RadioShack and Team Garmin in the Amgen Tour of California.
July 17 – BikeStock returns! – Bands, Beers, and Bikes will all come together on this Saturday at Rosa Parks Circle! The 2009 BikeStock at Ah-Nab-Awen park was a big success, but this event is coming back bigger and better for this year. Mark your calendar!
Also, become a fan of PedalGR on Facebook to get updates about upcoming rides!
Ride Safe and see you Wednesday!