PedalGR, meeting at 6:30pm on Wednesday, 5/27/2009 at Founder’s Brewing Company, 235 Grandville Ave SW.
It’s hard to believe that June is almost here! Festival of the Arts and the 100 Grand Bicycle Tour are fast approaching. Also, I’m really excited for the Midwest Mtn Bike Summit on May 29-31, held right in our own backyard at the Cannonsburg Ski Area.
The week’s PedalGR ride will include a trip to Gaslight Village to observe the puppy-filled madness that is the Bissell Blocktail Party, a ride past the reconstruction of Houseman Field, and a tour of the beautiful Fountain Street Church!
Here is the route:
View PedalGR route 5/27/09 in a larger map
Need to Know:
- This is a no-drop ride. Nobody in the group will be left behind.
- Ride is about 12.5 miles and will take about 2 hours (PedalGR is not a race).
- Water is highly recommended.
- HELMETS ARE REQUIRED on Rapid Wheelmen Club rides. (The insurance company’s lawyers insist)
A few highlights include:
- Historic Central High School
- Fulton St. Cemetery, oldest cemetery in the City of GR
- Houseman Field Reconstruction
- Bissell Blocktail Party
- Reed’s Lake in East Grand Rapids
- Hillcrest Community Garden, the largest community garden in West Michigan
- Fountain Street Church Tour
- The Fish Ladder @ 4th St Dam
- Riveredges Trail
Other upcoming rides and events:
5/29-5/31 – Midwest Mtn Bike Advocacy Summit at the Cannonsburg Ski Area – Put together by the Western Chapter of the Michigan Mtn Biking Association, this weekend promises to be a blast for all those who attend. $35 gets you a pig roast dinner with Founder’s Beer on Thursday night, advocacy seminars all day Friday, Hands on instruction, bike demos, and a festival atmosphere with live music on Saturday, and an Epic Ride of up to 40 miles on Sunday! There will be plenty of great beer and great fun!
6/6 – 36th Annual 100 Grand Bicycle Tour – Starting at the West Side Christian School, 955 Westend Avenue, this great ride features four different routes from 17 to 105 miles. Come join in on a cycling tradition in Grand Rapids. Hosted by the Rapid Wheelmen Bicycle Club, this ride serves as their main fundraiser for the year.
6/12-6/14 – League Cycling Instructor Certification Seminar – Experienced cyclists can become certified to teach the League of American Bicyclists’ Smart Cycling bicycle education curriculum.
Remember, having fun and riding safely are the two most important goals! Hope to see you there!